Friday, July 26, 2013

English Conversation Lesson 1


Introductions and Greetings (Formal and Informal)
-How to introduce yourself both in formal and Informal situations.
-How to greet people both in friendly formal and Informal situations for social and business purposes.

Lesson I: 1.1- Introduce Yourself to someone.
Informal:                Hi, I am Allan.                       Hello I’m Allan.                      Hi, my name is Allan.
Formal:                  I don’t think we’ve met. Let me introduce myself. My name is Allan Bedingfields.
Good morning/day/afternoon/evening! Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Allan.  *More complete/complex and more detailed. Longer sentences and more advance structures.
1.2 Introduce Someone else
Informal:                This is my friend/brother, Allan.                     This is my friend, Anna.
Formal:                   I would like you to meet my brother Allan Bedingfields.      Allow me to introduce my friend, Anna Bedingfields.
*What to say after introductions
Informal:                Hi Allan. Nice to meet you.                             Nice, to meet you too.
I am happy to meet you.                                Lovely to meet you too.
(You’ve been introduced to someone in a formal situation)
Formal:                   How do you do, Miss Bedinfields.                          How do you do.
It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Bedingfileds.     I’m very pleased to meet you too.
*How to greet someone you know
Informal:                i, how are you?/Hi Sue, how are you?                   Fine, thanks and you?
Hello Sue, how are you doing?                               Great, thanks. How about you?

Formal:   Good morning, Miss Bedingfields. How are you today?                I am very well, thank you. And you?
Hello Miss Bedingfields. It’s nice to see you again.               And you.

*How to say goodbye.
Informal:                I must go. Catch you late.                                       O.K. See you later. Bye.
I’ll be off now. Speak to you later.                          Sure. Take care.
Formal:         Goodbye. It has been a pleasure meeting you.   The pleasure is mine. I hope to see you again soon.
I must be on my way. It was nice seeing you again.     Likewise. I look forward to seeing you again soon.
Conversation 1 (Informal)
Allan: Hello. My name’s Allan.
Julie: Hi Allan, I’m Julie.
Allan: Nice to meet you, Julie.
Julie: Nice to meet you, too.
Allan: This is my friend, Peter.
Julie: Yes, I know. We’ve already met. How are you Peter?
Peter: Fine. Thanks. And you?
Julie: Great, thanks.
Allan: We must go now. Speak to you later, Julie.
Julie: OK. See you both later.
Conversation2 (Formal)
Allan: Good morning. I don’t think we’ve met. Let me introduce myself. My name is Allan Russel.
Julie: How do you do. My name is Julie Bates.
Allan: How do you do, Miss Bates. Allow me to introduce my colleague, Peter Panes.
Julie: Well, actually, we’ve already met. Hello Mr. Panes. How are you?
Peter: Very well, thank you. It’s very nice to see you again.
Julie: And you.
Allan: Well, we must be on our way. It has been a pleasure meeting you, Mr. Russel. I hope to see you again soon.
Julie: Likewise. I look forward to seeing you both again.

Useful Expressions:
A                                                                                              B
How are things with you?
How’s life?                                                               Fine, just fine.
What’s the good word?
What’s new?                                                          Oh, nothing much.
What a pleasant surprise!
What a happy coincidence.                                   I just dropped in to say hello.
Me too.
What brings you here today?                                 Oh, just a social call.
Well, to what do I owe the honor of this visit?     
You bet.
                                                                               It’s good of you to come.
I’m glad to be here.
It’s been a long time.                                              It certainly has.
See you around.
See you tomorrow.                                                 Goodbye. Have a nice day.
Goodnight. Sweet dreams.                                    I hope so. You too.
It’s been nice talking to you.
Be in touch.                                                            I will.

I will thank you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment